During the outbreak of COVID-19, it is very normal to feel sad, depressed, scared, worried, confused or even angry sometimes. COVID-19 has become the reason behind the insecurity for people of young age especially when it is concerned with their work and study. Although, it is okay if you are feeling anxious, apprehensive, or nervous while returning back to study, work or any other activities. Below are some tips to overcome these concerns.
TAKING CARE OF YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH:
- Exercising on daily basis and eating properly on time helps us very much to stay fit and healthy both mentally, physically and is an effective way to stay active during this epidemic. Apart from this, getting a good night sleep is also really an essential part of ensuring great health. These two tactics help in achieving the following:
- Improved health conditions
- Less chance of stroke and heart diseases.
- Reduce excessive weight.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.
- Improved sleeping capability.
Few examples of physical activities that can be done at home are listed below:
- Doing Yoga
- Weight training
- Performing backyard sports
- Gardening or dancing
- Catching up virtual fitness classes via Zoom or Skype groups with friends.
Keeping good friends circle and maintaining better social connections is very much important for mental health to feel safe, connected and well especially in youth. You can be in touch with friends or family while maintaining physical distancing during this epidemic through:
- Video calls
- Phone calls
- Conversation in online groups
- Chatting with people living nearby by keeping a physical distance of at least 1.5 meters.
Conversation with friends and family helps youth to improve their mental conditions and makes them positive.
MAKING NEW ROUTINES:
We are used to our daily routines like waking up early, getting ready for school, office or business and it gives us some daily sense of achievement. Adjusting to home learning is really challenging, but giving a new structure to our days can help us to provide some stability in life. Valuing some parts of usual routines can help to keep us happy like having lunch with friends via video or looking for some virtual fitness class.
GET A BREAK:
Being kind to yourself and getting some time for yourself even just a few minutes to have deep breaths and some fresh air out is not a bad idea. Planning of breaks and utilization of that time in doing things that make you happy and calm will surely improve your mood.
MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT
Motivation and support can be challenging for youth, this is why we have devised the following helpful tips that can support in maintaining your motivation and can also keep you on track:
- Looking for the activities that you enjoy doing.
- Juggling amongst your activities to keep your interest.
- Setting milestone/goals which are achievable.
- Framing a new routine to achieve the goals that you couldn’t have done otherwise.
- Monitoring progress of goals.
- Getting continuous support of friends and family.
Mental health issues in youth are increasing these days in Australia and all around the world due to the outbreak. Tips discussed above can help the youth to minimize their stresses and depression levels. Exercises, activities and family support have proven to be helpful to people in improving their mental health and will definitely help you in increasing positivity into your lives.